Does your space have only small windows or do you need to preserve floor space? Then a mini window-mounted air conditioner might be the solution for you too.
Updated 2017: new products added!
Independently of whether the unit is Energy Star certified or not, you can save energy with a window-mounted air conditioner by following some simple tips.
Don’t block the air flow to the unit from the inside with curtains, blinds or furniture. Also be sure to close the fireplace damper, floor and wall registers in order to stop the cool air from escaping up the chimney and into the duct work.
Make sure that the outside of the unit is free from shrubs or other obstructions. For better performance, install the A/C unit on the shady side of your home. If it’s at all possible a window facing north is best.
The capacity of the A/C should be appropriate for the size of the room for a satisfactory cooling effect. Also make sure that the size of the unit fits your window size.
A known model like Frigidaire’s 6k Air Conditioner is always a good choice if you’re looking for a powerful enough air conditioner to a really reasonable price.
MIDEA Mini Window Air Conditioner 5,000 BTU
- Mechanical window air conditioner
- Room coverage: 150 sq.ft
- Rotary thermostat control
- Window installation kit
- Fits window from 23“ to 36“ with window side panels attached
- 2-speed fan
Very good unit, I own two. My electric bill actually dropped over $100.00 when I stopped using the central cooling system. So yea! This is a damn good unit. Cools great and cost nothing.
Keystone 5000 BTU Window Air Conditioner
- Energy star rated: 12.2 energy efficiency ratio EER
- Room coverage: 150 sq,ft,
- Dehumidification up to 1.3 pints per hour
- Temperature sensing LCD remote control
- 3 cooling speeds, 3-fan speeds
- Auto cool for cooling flexibility
Very good!!! Cools the room very fast. Thanks. I recommend this conditioner. Normal quiet.
Love this AC! Kept my room freezing cold in the middle of summer. Not complaining but it was almost TOO cold at times!
Bought for friend whose ad went out in Texas summer. Worked great to keep a room cool in 100+ weather
Arctic King 5,000 BTU Mechanical Window Air Conditioner
- Room coverage: 150 sq.ft.
- Multiple fan speeds and cooling settings
- Easy to remove and easy to clean air filter
- Filter-change reminder
- Window installation kit included
It’s not much louder than running a couple of fans and keeps my bedroom frosty cold through the nasty SoCal summer days. All in all I’m very pleased with the purchase.
Frigidaire 5,000-BTU Mini Window Air Conditioner
- Power consumption: 515 W
- Room coverage: 150 square feet
- Rotary controls
- Fits windows 22″ min to 36″ max, window installation kit
- 2-speed fan, optional side panel extension
The fan blade is coated in rubber and it’s designed to suck water up and spray it on the evaporator coils. This facilitates some pre-cooling of the outside air. It drastically increases efficiency.
* Prices are good at the time the article was written, but subject to change without notice.