On the other hand you need some basic appliances for a comfortable little big life. A countertop microwave belongs definitely to this category of basic appliance for tiny homes, meaning tiny kitchen.
Maybe your kitchen is so tiny that it doesn’t provide any space for a full-sized built-in microwave or oven. For being able to still cook your favorite meals, to heat your dinner you will need to look for a countertop microwave.
Another important reason for getting a countertop microwave oven is that it uses significantly less energy than a full-sized oven or even a small toaster-style oven. You save energy and money.
A 600 Watt countertop microwave oven like the one Westinghouse is offering might also be perfect for a off-grid tiny house. You probably need to check on your solar panels and wind energy produced power before purchasing this specific model.
A countertop microwave oven with a 0.6 cubic feet interior capacity fits nicely on every countertop without taking away too much space and gets the job done for all your cooking activities.
Eager for more information? Here are some advantages and disadvantages of microwave ovens:
- A microwave oven really cooks faster than any gas or electric range cooking. You actually save time by using a microwave oven.
- There is also the nutritional factor. Microwave cooking retains the nutritive value of food, meaning it retains vitamins and minerals. And it cooks more even. All these factors make the meals taste delicious.
- Cooking with a microwave oven doesn’t heat the kitchen room. Perfect for everybody living in warmer climates.
- Microwave ovens have several safety systems installed which makes them very safe to use.
- Finally using the microwave for cooking means less cleaning afterwards – for sure less effort than cleaning an oven. All you have to do is to wipe up spills occasionally with a damp cloth.
- Because of the fast cooking food doesn’t get brown – unless your microwave oven has a browning unit.
- There are food items that you cannot cook in a microwave such as eggs.
- Be aware that unwanted chemicals can migrate from plastic cookware to the food. You can prevent this by using microwave-safe cookware.
- If the food is thicker than 1.5“ it won‘t get heated through, the interior will be uncooked while the exterior of the food is cooked.
Having a tiny kitchen you might be interested in getting one of these great countertop microwave ovens. Take look at the following countertop microwave oven. Maybe it‘s exactly the model you are looking for.
Westinghouse Counter Top Rotary Microwave Oven, 0.6 Cubic Feet, Black
- 600 Watt
- Interior capacity: 0.6 cubic feet
- 6 power levels: high, med/high, medium, med/low, defrost, low
- 30 minute timer with audible end of cooking signal
- Easy to grasp grip type handle to open and close the door
- Mechanical, rotary dial controls
- 9.5“ turntable size.
- Low maintenance
This microwave is perfect for seniors. This one is so easy to use, with one knob for power and the other knob for time. It’s small enough to not take up alot of counter space, but large enough to quickly heat up a dinner plate or fairly large bowl of food. It’s a really good microwave for small spaces and perfect for those who want to keep things simple and safe.
What a nice little machine! No frills, no fuss. Timers are clear (minutes only, not seconds), has a nice little bell ping when it’s done, which is nicer than a digital beep to me. Nice size doesn’t hog the counter. Dinner plate fits.
Small and efficient. Works really well for a family of two with in a house with not a whole lot of counter space.